Each year it seems like the cost of post-secondary education keeps getting more expensive. You’ve saved some money, but you still don’t think it’ll be enough. Maybe you didn’t spend your summers focused on making the most money, instead you created change. Then, there’s good news. The TD Scholarships for Community Leadership may be what you’re looking for.
What is it?
The TD Scholarships for Community Leadership awards students up to $70,000 for college or university (up to $10,000 for tuition per year, $7,500 a year for living expenses) for 4 years. It’s open to students across Canada who:
- Have demonstrated community leadership
- Are in final year of high school or CEGEP (in Quebec)
- Have a minimum overall grade average of 75% in their most recently completed school year
That’s me! I want to apply!
If this is something you’re excited about, then you should look out for applications starting in September. But here is the general process:
1. Write a 600-word essay (three copies) describing your community leadership experience.
- Why you got involved.
- How your involvement shows initiative and innovation.
- The ways your efforts have strengthened others.
- How long you have been involved.
- What you think the long-term impact will be.
- How your community has affected you.
2. Tell us about the other great things you’re doing. Include a brief description of the range of your other community activities with:
- A letter of recommendation from your school.
- Two letters of support from community groups.
- Your academic transcript
3. You also have the option of including:
- A 250-word essay (three copies) describing your family and personal life, for example your family’s employment or economic situation.
- A 250-word essay about your life experiences if you have taken a year or more away from high school or CEGEP.
The TD Scholarships for Community Leadership is one of the largest and most prestigious scholarships of its kind in Canada offered by Toronto Dominion Bank worth up to $70,000.
TD Scholarship Award
This scholarship recognizes high school and CEGEP students entering university or college based on their outstanding community leadership. Each TD Canada Trust Scholarship is valued at up to $70,000 and includes full tuition for up to four years of study, $7,500 per year toward living expenses, and an offer of summer employment at TD. Every year up to 20 exemplary young people are chosen as recipients of the scholarships. Students across Canada are invited to apply, and five regional judging panels that include prominent educators, politicians, and community representatives review applications.
The scholarship program has been in operation since 1995, and has already awarded over 360 deserving young Canadians. A National Ceremony is held annually in May to honour the year's recipients, with government officials, TD executives and community leaders in attendance.